Monday, February 23, 2015

Game over (poetry workshop)

Mom and dad

No.   Sorry.

Now it's

My mom and my dad

No sorry that's not right either

My mom


And


My dad

But that may not be entirely accurate anymore 

Because not even 100 breaths between words 

Sums up the distance between you

And it's been that way
ever since that 
innocent.
cool.
summers day

Because no one celebrates divorce anniversaries 

And now it seems like I am the only one who wishes people did

Because I know I've accepted the way our lives are now

But that won't stop me from wishing it didn't change

Because even though there is no constant war 
over who's family we are spend thanksgivings day with

And no more threatenings of finding coal in our stockings on Christmas Day

Nothing could replace those cool summers days

And the last one ended at 12 in the afternoon 

And even now I can feel the breeze 
and the sun in my heart 
like our lives were merely paused 

But there is no resume button 
and I'm starting to realize 
maybe we just reached 

a game over

4 comments:

  1. Dude. Mallary. This is so freaking good.

    The divorce anniversaries and the coal and 12 in the afternoon and "merely paused" - oh man.

    And then:

    "maybe we just reached

    a game over"

    Dude. This is real. This feels so familiar. Thank you for writing this and sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know, man. It just feels like you feel so acutely and you always write things that make me feel and I just love the feeling of almost tired longing for innocence in this and that's kind of sad, but sad things are also beautiful.

    Also I used the word feel way too many times in this comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really passionate. You conveyed your thoughts so eloquently. I loved it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Because not even 100 breaths between words

    Sums up the distance between you
    so great.

    ReplyDelete