Thursday, February 5, 2015

Pack rat

You call me a pack rat

Because I Still  have that plastic lizard I got from the dentist when I was 5.

And the toy car my brother gave me when I was 4 

And the plastic alien with the base ball batt I got at trafalga when I was 6

You say I need to clean my room 

Because you can't see into all the note books on my floor 
and can't read the writing inside 
and you can't see that even the empty ones had a plan. 
They just haven't made it yet 
and I don't intend to be the one to stop them.

You say I need to de junk

Because I still have old glass bottles
And old video game cases
And books next to my bed I wanted to read 2 years ago

But I can't let go. Because what if I end up needing them.

I have 3 old sports trophies from back when I could still win those. 
Because I wasn't always a looser

I have 3 China dolls I got from my grandmother but don't look at anymore because they creep me out. 

I have 3 stuffed animals I got from boys which are practically trophies

And an old valentine that was related to my favorite video game 

I have 4 sets of the Book of Mormon because I could never mark scriptures just right.

I have an old chair with a design I never liked because it's comfortable to sit in in a weird neck breaking way

I have 7 or so glass dogs because I kept picking up more from the dollar store and didn't want to throw them away. 

I have 2 pairs of cleats that I never wear because I don't have the time or talent to play sports anymore.

I have 20 or so hats because it's called a collection for a reason.

I have 13 polished rocks sitting in a tin box because what else would I do with them.

I have a littlest pet shop digital pet and a tamagotchi that both ran out of batteries long ago. 

I have zebra duct tape I am afraid to use
Because then it will be gone.

I have an old tv no one wants that isn't even hooked up to anything because it's not mine to throw away

I have 15 necklaces I never wear because they were gifts and I can't help but think I'll wear them some day.

I have 25 or so pairs of earrings but I stopped wearing them 2 years ago

I have old crossword puzzle books because I'm still working on them even though I've probably only finished a page. 

I have 5 sculptures I don't even know what to do with

And some left over Christmas lifesavers 

And I guess you could say it's a mess

But I'm not ready to change

4 comments:

  1. So much symbolism here. I loved this, Mallary, I really did.

    Holy crap, that part about the journals:

    "you can't see that even the empty ones had a plan."

    So good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just going to quote the same thing Nelson liked. But also the part about stuff animals from boys are basically trophies.

    This was incredible.

    You're very creative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. heck to the freaking yes.

    first off, completely relatable. second off, I love this and have too many quotes going through my head.

    But I can't let go. Because what if I end up needing them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. same. my room is full of crap. loved this.

    ReplyDelete