Saturday, July 30, 2016

heart beat

My heart is beating out of my chest


Pounding like a hundred stomping
Parading elephants
Like the beating of a hummingbird's wings
Like it was never really broken


The pounding all too familiar
Like the night before every first day of school
Like elementary school field trip excitement
Like Christmas Eve night
Like the boy you love wanted to kiss you
Beating


My head is buzzing bubbling
Like its full of bees
But also bubbling hot lava
And possibly a rabid raccoon


like that was a great movie
Like I just kissed the boy I love
Like family problems unresolved


And I haven't gotten
a full nights sleep all week.
But I still have two months to go
And I'm kind of worried it won't go away


But mostly I'm worried


Worried because
my heart has been rebuilt so many times
and I'm not sure if it can take the pressure


The layers of duct tape and superglue
Will only hold for so long
But I think my heart has forgotten it's broken
It's been treated fairly well
for the last two years
And I don't think it knows what it is doing yet
Because each pump feels a little more like
Waiting to break
But I'll buy some more duct tape
in the morning
And while I'm at it
I'll pick up more superglue

No comments:

Post a Comment