Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Weeds or wild flowers

We were wild flowers on the roadside
We were sunburnt 
And thirsty

I was lost mistakes 
And new dreams
I was a few goodbyes 
And fewer hellos 

I was the ghost of my school
And the clown of our house
Because painting on smiles
Became my new hobby

9th grade might as well have been a play
Because none of it felt real
Surrounded by pedigree plants
I pretended I was just one of them

But I've learned 

That pedigree plants 
don't grow on their own 
And I never wanted 
To be one of them

And painting roses red
Never changed what they were
Or what they could be
But leaving them that way
That's where it gets dangerous

So I chipped away the paint 
piece by piece  
And when I was done 
I met some people 

Who saw me as the wild flower I was
Not just a weed

Because maybe
That's how I felt.

2 comments:

  1. Feeling like a wildflower. Same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I was lost mistakes
    And new dreams
    I was a few goodbyes
    And fewer hellos"
    This is great. Wildflowers.

    ReplyDelete