Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Listening to prayers

We paint on smiles that match our skin
And robotic voices echo through the building

They told me work 
would be my escape from home

But now I have trouble 
seeing the difference

Because I paint on a smile for you each morning
And tell you less each day

But today I found myself listening in again
I'm sorry I stopped
And I'm sorry I did
And I'm sorry I do

But I'm mostly sorry I stopped
I'm sorry that even though 
you don't realize it
My soul is older than yours on occasion
And I don't know when 
I stopped being there for you  

Because I used to listen in 
on every crying phone call 
And every heart felt prayer

But last time I knocked on your door 
Hoping you would finally realize 
I've been here all along

And you shut and locked yourself up
 deep down inside

And eventually I think I thought 
I could listen to music with headphones in
Because there was nothing to miss

I've never been ok 
putting both earbuds in my ear
Until this year

And I don't think I'll find it ok again

Because dear

No matter how much your new husband pretends

Everything is not ok

And I wanted to be the one 
you finally admitted the words
"I feel broken" to

But I wasn't

Instead it was your moms cousin 
who lives down the road

And that makes me want to cry

But I heard it mom
I heard it

And I won't miss you saying it again

And maybe when I've moved out 

You'll finally say it to me

So here's to wishes

That I finally stop painting on smiles
And let my voice ring true

Because I wouldn't be here without you
And I won't let you be alone 

1 comment:

  1. This is crazy good.

    I love your writing and I could really feel this.

    I hope you preform this tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete