Wednesday, May 4, 2016

sand, bricks and funerals

We spend our whole lives building up for one moment
The moment we die

From the moment we are born
Every giggle
Every almost word
Every cheeky childhood action
Every date
Every chemistry partner
Every group project
Every yearbook photo
Every kiss
Every stupid joke
Every moment we have builds up and then disappears

Because people remember what they want to remember
And most of them will be nothing but dust
They will fall through the cracks
Or be swept aside
To make way
for memories that mean something

the memories that stick
become the bricks
bricks that build up the wall
That hides who you really were

Because people don’t talk about
 how she slept with her dog
At funerals
They talk about how
she was so sweet and perfect and friendly
People don’t talk about how antisocial she was
They talk about how she was so kind to everyone she met
They don’t talk about how
she believed the wind would take her away
They talk about how often she climbed trees

I’m not fond of funerals
Because funerals are for the living
But poems are sometimes for the dead

And although I fear my funeral
will be full of crying people who said I was perfect

I hope there will be someone who knows the true story
They would say I was a fighter
That I always hoped to be something more
that I love the feeling of acceleration
and in another life
I would love to be a race car driver
but in this life I lived to be a writer
because I wrote letters to the moon
and cried into the wind
when it didn’t take me with it
that I had so much to loose
but nothing to gain
because poets aren’t worth much

and I
I always wanted to be something spectacular
I hope when they turn the last page of my life
They don’t forget that
That every day I feared all I would ever be was
Mediocre

me·di·o·cre
ˌmēdēˈōkər/
adjective
1.    of only moderate quality; not very good.
"a mediocre actor"
synonyms:


Because I don’t want to be forgotten in all the lies
I don’t want to be forgotten in my perfect baby girl
I don’t want to be forgotten
Because I was always a sucker for imperfections
And I would rather that you remember
I slept for way too long
Or that I may or may not
have sucked at cooking in the past
Or that I looked really cute when I woke up
Not a pretty cute
But an adorable bead head sleepy eyes cute
That I was obsessive
That I may or may not
have stopped playing an instrument
And stopped drawing
Because someone told me I was no good.
That I read so often people wondered if I was ok
That I ate chocolate so often
My mother thought
I was giving myself health issues
That my dreams were terrifying
And messed up
and I have always wanted to forget them
But I never could.
And I’m no good at impressions
So likely no one will re member me at my funeral
My first kiss will not be there
None of my project partners will be there
No x boyfriends
Not a lot of friends either
I hope a certain one or two will show up
My family will be there
And most of them will pretend they know me



No comments:

Post a Comment